United Ministries, Inc. was founded by members of the United Church of Christ. Rev. Eugene Bartell, the former pastor of First United Evangelical United Church of Christ, and representatives from St. Matthew, Zion and Bethany United Church of Christ formed the initial task force in the Spring of 1993. Renovations of the property at 1400-1402 E. Lombard Street began in 1996 and the Grand Opening was held in December of 1997.Earl’s Place is named for Earl Johnson who before his death in1993 sometimes lived a life of homelessness, but also volunteered and worked to help others through The Supper Club, a feeding program at First United Evangelical United Church of Christ in East Baltimore. At any given time seventeen low-income, formerly homeless men who are also recovering from substance abuse, chronically mentally ill and/or HIV positive, are working on becoming productive, self-sufficient citizens.
Earl’s Place, the first project of United Ministries, Inc., is a transitional housing program located in the East Baltimore Washington Hill community. Earl’s Place provides long-term housing and supportive housing to homeless men. The project promotes independence and acquisition of skills using a model that emphasizes individual responsibility and accountability.